Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Keeping It Simple


Just because you don't feel like cooking doesn't mean you don't have to cook. There are nights when you need a super easy dish. Last night was one of those. Daddy-O had a third helping of this casserole, so it passed the taste test. It isn't fancy. It isn't made from all fresh foods. But last night it was just fine.

If I lived where Jessica lives, I would have made a phone call and in thirty minutes or so, supper would arrive at the door. It might be Thai or Indian or barbecue. Nearly anything kind of food you can think of can be delivered if you live in the city.

But we live in the country. No delivery of any kind. Take out is limited to pizza or a sub sandwhich or a fast food burger. And that requires about 25 minutes of driving to get it and bring it home.

So last night I used an "emergency" recipe. It is mostly canned things. I don't do that often, but last tonight I was happy to have these cans on the shelf and to have this recipe tucked away. You open the cans, mix and bake.

You might need this kind of recipe one night, too. Keep the appropriate cans on your shelf and you'll have supper in the oven in minutes.


ZITI CHICKEN CASSEROLE

2 cups ziti
1 (12-oz) can chunk chicken
2 cups shredded Munster or Monterey Jack cheese (think any kind would be fine)
1 (10-oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 soup can water or milk
black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook ziti according to package directions. Drain. In a large bowl, mix soup and water. Stir in pasta and all ingredients except Parmesan. Mix well and spoon into a 9-in square dish. Sprinkle Parmesan over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Let stand a few minutes so pasta can absorb some of the sauce.




Yes. Yes, I would.


3 comments:

  1. Love the quote on the yellow book! Is it a journal? The casserole looks delicious. It does help to have some basic things on hand, doesn't it? I have not bought much canned chicken. Have you had good luck with it, flavor-wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a notebook I use for lists and such. Canned chicken? It isn't like fresh, but it works pretty well in some recipes. I've used it for chicken stew and think it's good. My husband really liked this casserole.
      Years ago, my boss's very proper wife was famous for her chicken salad. Her secret was making it with canned chicken! I have not tried that, though.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.