Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sweet Thing

Granddaddy came in with a basket of ripe peaches a neighbor had given him. They were so ripe that if they weren't used within 15 minutes I think it would have been too late. So I pulled out an old recipe that we've used many, many times.


Peach Cobbler

3-4 cups sliced fresh peaches
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup milk
1 stick butter (1 stick = 1/2 cup)

Put 1 cup sugar on peaches and set aside.
Melt butter and pour into a 2-qt. baking dish.
Mix remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
Pour batter into melted butter. DO NOT STIR.
Spoon peaches over top of batter. DO NOT STIR.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


This is what is looks like when you spoon the peaches on top of the batter. The batter bakes up through the peaches. So pay attention when it says "DO NOT STIR." It really means it.


Now I've heard confession is good for the soul. So I'll confess---I forgot to add the half cup sugar to the batter. It's better when you add the sugar. Do not forget to add the sugar.


But it disappeared in a hurry. This picture was taken minutes after it came out of the oven. Not-so-sweet batter was remedied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  :-)

The other confession? This cobbler was made last weekend. The same weekend I baked all the muffins and the honey bun cake. This weekend I'm eating salad.

3 comments:

  1. Peach Cobbler a la Mode ... the perfect summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly the recipe I use, even though I haven't made one this summer nor did I make one last summer. Peach cobbler truly is the BEST thing ever. Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.