Monday, August 20, 2012

Back To School


School started today for Big Sister. I can't wait to hear how it went. Or, maybe I can. Starting middle school in a place where you know no one has to be hard. So while I'm wondering how she is today, I decided to cook. Keeping busy.

Here on the farm, our electricity comes from a rural electric co-operative. And the electric co-ops across the state send out a magazine each month. The first page I always look at is in the back. It's the one with recipes from co-op members. (The pineapple cake last week came from an old issue.) I didn't realize that other states do the same thing. Imagine my surprise when I first arrived at Mommy's new house and there was a copy of their new electric co-op magazine, complete with recipes! I copied those two back pages and packed them in my suitcase days before I left so I would be sure not to forget them. Today I'm trying the first of those recipes from that far-away state.

Since in the last couple of weeks, we pretty much cleaned out all of the foods I had stashed in the freezer earlier in the summer, I divided this recipe in two square pans and I put one in the freezer for later. I'll let you know if it survives the freeze-thaw-bake process. There's no way to find out except to try.


Taco Lasagna

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning
15-oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
14.5-oz. Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained (I used Del Monte Diced Tomatoes w/Zesty Mild Green Chilies)
6 flour tortillas ((8-inch)
16-oz. can refried beans
3-4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

In a large skillet, cook beef, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Stir in black beans and tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.

Place two tortillas in a greased 9x13-inch dish. Spread with half of refried beans and half of beef mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.


Update: I should really start typing out the recipes before I make them. I baked this uncovered. Not sure it matters. This is really good. At least the first pan--won't know about the one in the freezer until later.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.