Thursday, April 28, 2011

Some Things Old, Some Things New

A cross stitch sampler I made while in college.

It was a hectic evening. We sat down for dinner and realized the television was still on -- which is a no-no here. The news coverage was about the royal wedding. Big Sister asked if I was going to get up at 4:00 AM to watch the wedding. I told her I might, that I had gotten up that early to watch Princess Diana and Prince Charles get married a long time ago. Big Sister asked why I hadn't just recorded it and watched later. I told her that in 1981 I didn't have a way to record TV shows. This started a whole conversation about all the things I didn't have years ago.

I am older than DVRs (but young enough not to remember life without television.) I am older than cell phones and computers, even older than calculators. (Remember those giant adding machines with about a million buttons and a crank?)  I am older than Post-Its and Ziploc bags. The list goes on and on. How did we live before all of these things?

Thankfully some things stay the same. I like that I can still play a song from old sheet music. I can knit with just two wooden sticks and some yarn. Or make something with a needle and thread. So simple. So enjoyable.

If you want to be simple this weekend, try this cake. The recipe came from an older cousin. I think about her every time I make it. It's as easy as cake mix but better. Just dump everything in one bowl. It's the cake my mother baked many times for birthday cakes. I used this for our strawberry shortcake on Easter.

Quick and Easy Cake

2 cups self-rising flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Beat until well mixed.
Pour into a greased and floured pan. This can be baked in layers, cupcakes or a 9x13-inch pan.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. The time will vary according to the size of the pan. Watch and test for doneness when it's golden brown.

Top with fruit and whipped cream or your favorite frosting. It's a good basic cake that is very moist. I will share a couple of good, easy frosting recipes later.

I hope Mommy sets the DVR to record the wedding. I'm not sure that I'll make it up in time to see this prince and his bride. Thank goodness for new gadgets...just in case I snooze through the alarm in the morning.






3 comments:

  1. I always remember Charles and Diana's wedding day ... it came at the time when our second son was born.

    How ever did we manage w/o post its?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes get comments via email. This one was too good not to share...

    "Hey, loved the blog! I am really old! I watched the Grandmother Queen and her husband get married on TV! However, the TV was about 9 inch square and weighed a ton!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the simple things in life. I may go even simpler and have something made my elves in a hollow tree. Lovely sampler.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.