Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What Do I Do?

When I was a stay-at-home mother with a baby and a toddler, people would often ask me, "What do you do all day?" The tone of their voice implying that I probably sat around watching TV or maybe I slept a lot.  Not much anyone could say would make me quite so mad as that question. I did all the child care things during the day--feeding, bathing, dressing, rocking, reading, singing, playing, wiping faces, wiping bottoms, etc. in addition to the house stuff that all moms must do. Plus when I went grocery shopping, it was with two little ones in tow, so it took about three times as long.

Now I'll be the first to admit I don't do quite as much all day as I did nearly 30 years ago. Thankfully, it's not all my responsibility now. But Baby Sister and I do manage to stay busy. Funny thing is that the comment I hear now is, "I don't know how you do it every day." Hey! I'm older but I'm not ancient. Yet. 

Here is just a little peek at yesterday...


Feeding her cereal in the morning often means a change of clothes is coming. Sometimes for me, too. This usually leads to a load or two of laundry.


Notice the John Deere label on the suit?  Why haven't the New Holland folks caught on to this marketing idea?


Playing with a new favorite toy. Sitting up is a fairly new skill and so it's hard work. A good nap might follow a hard afternoon of play.


Every time Baby Sister is in the floor, her Mimi is in the floor, too. I'm proud I can still get up!


And, yes, when the baby naps, I take a break now. Often a knitting break. What's on my needles?  The Rubik's Cube of knitting--at least in my mind. A pair of socks.  I'm still figuring this whole sock thing out. This is my second pair. I am so happy I remembered what I did the first time. 





2 comments:

  1. Ah, the soft back-of-the-head shot. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!

    We're heading to AZ for the weekend to see our grandlittles. Someone is one :)

    Your sock is lookin' good. Love the red!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.