Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Too Tired To Cook--But I Did


There are nights when I am too tired to cook and Granddaddy will say, "We'll just go get something." I appreciate the sentiment, but if we don't want pizza or a burger, it's quite a drive to dinner. At this point I usually check the refrigerator and see what I can find that requires little effort. 

Last night was one of those nights. I had pork tenderloin in the refrigerator that needed to be cooked anyway. I have absolutely THE best recipe for pork tenderloin but it requires several hours in a marinade. And it was already 5:30. So I tried something different.

Pork tenderloin cooks quickly. It's always tender. And leftovers are good. Can't beat that combination. Here's what I did...

Pork Tenderloin with Herb Rub

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or use about a tbsp. of fresh minced if you have some)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 - 1 teaspoon paprika
salt, to taste

1 pork tenderloin, about 1-1/4 lb
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix all dry ingredients. Using dry hands, rub herb mix over all sides of tenderloin, pressing gently to make sure the herbs "stick."

In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. (If the garlic starts to burn, remove it from pan.) Put tenderloin in the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes until nicely browned on all sides. Use tongs to turn the meat. Move tenderloin to a roasting pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, until internal temp reaches 165-170 degrees. (I really do use a meat thermometer. Started checking after 20 minutes but mine took 30 minutes to reach the temp.)

Remove from oven and put a foil "tent" over the meat and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve.


Feel free to adjust the herbs to suit your taste. Or what's in your pantry. But this is a good starting place.

This took about 15 minutes of prep and then it went into the oven while I sat down and rested. It would have taken longer than that to get to a restaurant. You can fix a quick salad or bake a potato to finish the meal. I lined my roasting pan with foil so the clean up was minimal. And now we have leftovers for tonight! 

The tenderloins I usually buy come with two in a package. This rub really does make enough for only one. Double the amounts if you want to cook them both. I put the other in the freezer. Might try a different rub next time---but this one was good. 

I'll give the marinade recipe later. It is our all time favorite! But it does mean I have to plan ahead. It's nice to have another option.



1 comment:

  1. I've never bought or cooked a pork tenderloin. Isn't that crazy? Your recipe sounds yummy.

    We're coming to believe that going out to dinner is almost always a disappointment and rarely worth the $. Best to have an impromptu "catch and catch can" night when all else fails.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.