Monday, September 10, 2012

If Pasta Could Cure


If pasta could cure, Jessica should be expecting a quick recovery. I have made an assortment of pasta/noodle dishes as she has asked for them all last week and tonight made one more. 

I made this recipe so many times when I was staying at Mommy's house helping with the new baby (now our toddler Baby Sister) and I guess we got tired of it. But I thought about it today because it's so good and only has four ingredients. 

Tonight for the very first time I made it like the recipe is written! I've never been able to find smoked mozzarella at home. There are some advantages to city living. Whole Foods with it's big cheese section (that sells smoked mozzarella) is very close by. But if your store doesn't have it, know it works well with either cheese.

So here is the way I make it at home. And here is the original recipe--the one I made tonight. They are equally good.

Penne with Tomato & Smoked Cheese

3 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained 
2 cups Alfredo pasta sauce
1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray 1 1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat tomatoes to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook uncovered 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated.*

In 2-quart saucepan, heat Alfredo sauce over medium-low heat until warm. Stir in cheese until melted. Mix sauce, pasta and tomatoes. Pour into casserole.

Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot in center.

*I cheated and poured some of the liquid out of the tomatoes and skipped the "cooking the liquid out" part and went on the next step. Just made one less pan to wash. 

You can also mix this dish up the night before and refrigerate. The next night, just bake as directed.

Just for the record, I am still knitting. I'm nearly done with another striped shawl. I brought it to Atlanta with me. Nice to have a hobby that travels easily.


2 comments:

  1. I think I'll try a version of this tonight. Had planned to have chicken marinara anyway. I wouldn't have thought about baking the pasta. I sure hope Jessica is 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everyone is well and happy by now. Signed, a fellow Pastatarian.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.