Monday, September 24, 2012

Too Far For Delivery

Yesterday Jessica posted something on Facebook about having her dinner delivered. She lives in the city. Delivery isn't an option here on the farm. Tonight we wanted pizza---which usually means a drive to town to pick up one. But tonight I made a homemade version. Well, not completely homemade---but it did not come in a cardboard box.


I knew we still had peppers in the garden. There was a package of turkey sausage crumbles and a can of pizza dough in the refrigerator. And I had an onion. But I didn't have pizza sauce. I've made it before using tomato sauce. But tonight I only had one can of tomato paste in the pantry. So I found a new recipe.
It is extremely simple. The recipe said to let it stand for several hours. I only had about twenty minutes to let it sit. Can't wait to see what it would taste like when I have more time. 


I also only had a bag of Mexican cheese blend on hand. So make this pizza to suit yourself. Choose your favorite crust, toppings and cheese. Or, use what you have in the refrigerator. But whatever you do, make this sauce! Bake your pizza according to the directions that accompany the dough. 

I had enough sauce left for another pizza. I put it in a jar and refrigerated it for later. It should keep for a few days. 


Easy Pizza Sauce

1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
1-1/2 cups water
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used the jarred kind)
salt & black pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Mix together the tomato paste, water, and olive oil. Mix well. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well and let stand several hours to let flavors blend. No cooking necessary, just spread on dough.


There are advantages to living too far out for pizza delivery. Makes you try new recipes. I'm glad I did. Daddy-O says, "This is a keeper!"

Don't think there was a crumb left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.