Tuesday, January 22, 2013

So Easy So Good


I've been working on clearing out cabinets, drawers, closets and such for a while now. This morning I found a box of cake mix on the shelf with the "better if used by" date of a few weeks ago. And a can of pineapple that was not the size I meant to buy. I needed to use the cake mix. And then I remembered a recipe I made a few years back.


Three ingredients. You don't need a mixer. You don't even have to grease a pan. So if you decide Tuesday is as good a day to bake as any, you might give this a try. I made it years ago for a family Christmas gathering (wanted to have a healthier choice for me) and set it on the buffet along with the other desserts. When the meal was over, my macaroon cake was pretty much untouched. It's really good, but as Jessica explained, "When it's sitting beside a homemade ten-layer chocolate cake, a cheesecake and pecan pie, the macaroon cake is not going to be my first choice.

So make this on a Tuesday. Make this for a snack. Make this because you've cleaned out the pantry. Make this for no particular reason except that it's easy and good.


MOCK MACAROON CAKE


1 (16-oz.) box  fat free angel food cake mix
1 (20-oz.)  can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
Mix all ingredients.  Pour into an ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.
Bake about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Serves 20  (4 rows x 5 rows)  

The original recipe said to bake 35-40 minutes. Mine was done in just under 30 minutes. Go more by the golden brown color and the toothpick test than the minutes. And remember that angel food cake slices better with a serrated knife. 

If you are counting Weight Watchers PointsPlus, this is 2 points per serving. If you make the servings slightly larger (3 rows x 6 rows) it will be 3 points per slice. Still a good deal.


Oh yeah. This is good. I had forgotten how good. I had to eat a piece so I could make a photograph. Glad there was still coffee in the pot. Nice morning treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.