Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It Was Good


Yesterday we said goodbye to my aunt---the last member of that generation on my mother's side. On the way home from the funeral, I got a text message with a photo of my brand-new just-born great-niece. Endings and beginnings. 

We had a weekend filled with a doctor visit, a trampoline accident and emergency dentist visit and more. Wasn't Mother's Day in there, too? By suppertime last night I was in need some something quick. This was a night that we would have ordered something delivered if that had been a choice. (A friend asked me once, "Who delivers your pizza where you live?" I told her "Daddy-O." We are too far from town for that.) So I made something quick here at home.

The empty plates will have to speak for the good recipe last night. Our supper was beautiful. Imagine beautiful golden brown quesadilla wedges piled on that plate. But we were hungry and didn't think about a photo. After several days of not-typical happenings, we needed an easy supper. On Saturday I had made shredded chicken---that's because my plan to cook BBQ chicken on the grill didn't happen---and put most in the freezer. But I kept out enough for one meal.  

Thanks to Mommy for giving me this idea. She said these quesadillas are one of their favorite suppers. Now we know why. This was really good. The onions made it special.

Chicken, Cheese & Caramelized Onion Quesadillas

thinly sliced onion
small amount of olive oil
shredded cooked chicken
shredded cheese
whole wheat flour tortillas
butter

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until translucent and limp and slightly browned. Remove onion from skillet. Wipe pan with a paper towel, if necessary.

Assemble quesadillas. Sprinkle one tortilla with a layer of cheese, a layer of shredded chicken, then the caramelized onion, and another layer of cheese. Top with another tortilla. Heat about a teaspoon of butter in skillet and spread over the bottom of pan. Carefully slide the filled tortillas into pan. Let cook over medium to low heat until browned and the cheese is melting. Carefully turn it over and cook until brown on the other side.

Slide onto a large dinner plate and cut into wedges. Keep warm, as you make the rest of the quesadillas. Serve with barbecue sauce and sour cream.

Crockpot Shredded Chicken

4 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon *House Seasoning
4 cups of water (or enough to just cover chicken)

Put chicken breast in crockpot. Sprinkle with House Seasoning. Pour water over. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken to a pan or bowl. Remove bone and skin if you've used whole breasts. Then using two forks, shred the warm chicken.

To put it in the freezer, let it cool slightly and divide into meal-size portions and place into freezer ziploc bags. Label and date. Freeze and use within a couple of months.

*House seasoning:  Mix 1/4 cup salt, 1 tbsp. black pepper & 1 tbsp. garlic powder. Store in an air-tight container, such as an empty spice bottle.


2 comments:

  1. An easy and comforting meal after the weekend you had. I hope everything is settling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, this was a night when I envied your easy access to restaurants! Things are calmer today. Thanks.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.