Friday, May 4, 2012

This Little Piggy




Now, I live in the land where making good pulled pork barbecue is considered an art form. So, for the benefit of my friends who are barbecue competitors and for those who are certified barbecue judges, let me say right up front that I know YOU wouldn't count this as REAL barbecue. And that's okay. But for those of us who are busy moms and grandmothers, it's close enough.

How good can crockpot pulled pork be? Daddy-O came in late from working on the hay and took his plate into the den to watch the last of the news while he ate. I was in the kitchen cleaning up. And this was what I heard him shouting between bites:

"This is good."

"D, this is REALLY good!" (It's getting serious when he adds my name to the sentence.)

"We ought to serve this to company!!!"

Want to come eat barbecue with us? You'll get an even quicker invitation if you can drive a tractor and are willing to help Daddy-O finish getting the hay in. (The top photo is deceiving. It makes a lot of pulled pork. I had already put three pint containers in the freezer.)

Pulled Pork Barbecue

4 lbs pork roast (I used a pork sirloin roast--the kind wrapped in net)
2 large onions
1 cup ginger ale
1 (18-oz) bottle BBQ sauce ( I used Sticky Fingers Memphis Original)
Barbecue sauce for serving (I used Stubbs Original)
  • Slice one onion and place in crockpot.
  • Remove the net from roast and place on onion layer. Top with the other sliced onion. Pour the ginger ale over. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
  • Remove meat and onions from pot to a large pan. Discard cooking liquid. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat.
  • Return meat and onions to pot and stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook on LOW for 1-2 hours.

Taking a clue from Jessica, I rolled the BBQ, along with cole slaw, shredded cheese and a spicy BBQ sauce, in a whole wheat tortilla. Excellent combination. A nice change from a regular sandwich.

This recipe is very dependent on the bottled barbecue sauce you choose to use. So find your favorite flavor. They vary greatly. We used a milder sauce for the cooking and then a spicier sauce to add to our "burritos" to give it a little zing. Let me know if you have a different brand to suggest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.