Monday, May 9, 2011

Colorful Monday #2


The bad thing about making proclamations and promises is that you are honor bound to do what you proclaimed to the world. And more importantly, to your ten-year-old granddaughter. So I will to do this today even if Colorful Monday comes the day after a Mother's Day celebration which came the day after a big family wedding and we are all tired. But I don't think I promised the entire dinner plate would be colorful. It's just that we are trying to add new foods and new combinations of foods to our meals. Bright colors usually means fresh. And that doesn't necessarily mean hard to prepare.

Thankfully, I saw a parfait recipe last week on MyRecipes.com and thought I'd save it for a busy day. I really didn't think I would need it the second week of the month. Fresh blueberries and oranges are beautiful together. Blue and orange are opposite colors on the color wheel. Wonder if an artist thought up this simple dessert? Here's my version of the one I found:

Blueberry-Orange Parfaits

1-1/2 tablespoons of sugar (or to taste)
1/2 teaspsoon grated orange rind
2 (7-oz.) containers reduced-fat plain Greek-style yogurt
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups fresh orange sections (about 2 large oranges)
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

Mix sugar and orange rind with yogurt. Layer 1/4 cup berries, 2-1/2 tablespoons yogurt, and 1/4 cup orange sections in a parfait glass. Repeat layers. Sprinkle a tablespoon of wheat germ over each glass and serve immediately.

Confession time... I loved the parfait. It was a very fresh and light dessert. The Greek yogurt was rich and creamy and tasted much more sinful than it was. I would make it again in a heart beat. Maybe even with granola for breakfast. But Big Sister told me blueberries and oranges weren't on her list of favorites. So she made her own dessert.

Her color choice? Black and white...


I really need to explain this Colorful Monday thing to her one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.