Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thankful


Mommy's internet connection was down. My cell phone won't ring (but thankfully works otherwise.) The irrigation system was on the fritz. The doorbell wasn't working either. Which meant I missed the irrigation repairman. Had a not-so-happy baby most of the day.

And I couldn't keep from watching tornado coverage on television. Decided my problems weren't really problems after all. It was time to say a prayer and turn the TV off.

I needed to get myself busy so I cooked supper for Granddaddy. Made this pasta salad while Baby Sister was napping this afternoon. I left enough for Mommy to pack for her lunch tomorrow and brought the rest home. Granddaddy was happy to see me walk in the door tonight with dinner ready to serve.

I made this salad so many times a few years ago and then, like we do with good recipes, set it aside and forgot about it. Not sure why because this is really easy and delicious. I love recipes that can be made ahead of time. It's time to bring it back.

Shrimp & Pasta Salad

1/4 cup mayonnaise
oregano, to taste
16-oz box spaghetti, cooked & drained (break spaghetti in half before cooking)
6-8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
6 green onions, sliced
10-12 cherry tomatoes, sliced or large dice
16-oz. shrimp, cooked & peeled
1 cup light Italian salad dressing

Combine the mayonnaise and oregano in a large bowl and mix well. Add the hot spaghetti and toss to coat.
Add the feta cheese, onions, tomatoes and shrimp and mix well. Add the salad dressing and mix well.
Chill, covered, for 6 hours. Serve cold.

(It might be prettier with regular spaghetti but I used whole wheat to make it a little healthier. Also noticed my box of spaghetti is no longer 16 ounces. Oh well.)

I was very thankful tonight to sit down to dinner in my own house with my husband. Blessings to all those folks struggling in the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.